Tuesday, 6 January 2009

12 random facts about the author….

I have to give credit to my friend Li for inspiring this blog post. I thought it would add a personal touch to my blog in which I endeavour to protect my identity. So here are some random snippets about the Afro Scientress…

1. I love people who can make me laugh alot. I don’t mean this in a sexual way but personality-wise. It applies to guys and gals.

2. My favourite colour is orange.

3. I love taking photos and being creative when taking photos. My next camera purchase will hopefully be a SLR or something more professional than the digital camera I use now.

4. I hate it when people say things they don’t mean.

5. I have only 24 teeth in my mouth as opposed to the standard 32.

6. The older I get, the more I fear the future. Ironically, I look forward to change.

7. I love nearly everything about summer.

8. In high school I was voted ‘nicest person’ and ‘person with the best smile’ – how things have changed.

9. I drink a banana milkshake on most mornings. One whole banana, half a cup of milk, a teaspoon of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Blend.

10. I would hate to be famous.

11. 2008 will be considered as one of the best years of my life. It was a year that was filled with opportunities and experience. I had several opportunities for personal and uni-related interstate and overseas travel. I had wonderful and not-so-wonderful experiences in personal relationships all of which I have taken something away from. I turned a hobby into something that provided me with an additional income. I did some teaching/demonstrating, which is something I have wanted to try for a long time. I learned to appreciate the beautiful state I live in: Western Australia. Edit: A couple of things i forgot to mention because i was too consumed in personal matters include our prime-minister, Kevin Rudd, delivering a formal aplogy to the stolen generation, and the election of Barack Obama. These things, although not personal, made 2008 an even better year.
It’s only a week in to the new-year but unfortunately 2009 is not a year I am looking forward to. It started off fine but quickly went down-hill in my personal life and I can sense that this trend is set to continue. I have been dreading this year mainly because I know I have to finish most of my PhD. My supervisor has asked me to do additional lab work on top of the lab work of my own project which means longer hours in the lab on top of writing a thesis. As an incentive, my supervisor has agreed to give me a top-up on my scholarship. In my circle of friends, most of my closest friends are either getting hitched, moving away or both whereas I am still single and have no plans to move away for at least two years. To top it off, 2009 has quite literally hit me in the face a week into the new year. True story: I was half asleep in bed this morning when all of a sudden my annual calendar slid down the wall behind my bed, rebounded off my bed-head and fell smack-bang right onto my face. The really scary thing was the hook on the wall hadn’t come off nor did the hook holding the calendar to the wall. I think 2009 is trying to tell me something. I recently came across a 2008 website which I think appropriately describes my 2009 so far.

And finally…

12. The next blog post will be science-related :)

4 comments:

Sheralle said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Deborah

http://termlifeinsurance2.com

The Afro Scientress said...

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for the lovely comment :) It is much appreciated.

AS

Leila said...

Made me laugh, especially about the calendar. So how's 2009 coming along? Love your blog.

The Scientress said...

Hi Leila,
Thank you for your comment. After having a rough start to 2009, the year since has been quite smooth and a little mundane but i'm ok with that. I hope 2009 is treating you well :)

AS